FA Cup: Liverpool punish Manchester City and qualify for the final (3-2)

Too strong, Liverpool fires City and keeps dreaming of the foursome. The Citizens scored a big goal, leading 3-0 at half-time in the FA Cup semifinals at Wembley on Saturday (2-3). Unconcerned and completely helpless in the first phase, the Skyblues woke up when they returned from the dressing room. However, that’s not enough for a solid and attractive Liverpool result. Still a goalscorer, France’s Ibrahima Konaté put the Scousers in the right lane (9′) before Sadio Mané offered a brace of opportunism and class (17′, 45′). Despite the performances of Jack Grealish (47′) and Bernardo Silva (90’+1′), the Mancunians lost a new title, just outside the gates of the final. On the other hand, Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool can still stick to their crazy bet to achieve a historic quadruple this season.

Subscribe to Eurosport to follow a whole year of sport!

The Emirates FA Cup

A giant dumpling from Steffen then a masterpiece: Mané smashes City before the break


Just one shot for City in the first half

Looking at Pep Guardiola’s eleven, we imagined a less confident Manchester City. Deprived of his talisman Kevin De Bruyne and Kyle Walker, the Catalan decided to drop Phil Foden down a notch to maintain a technical and licked touch down the middle. But given the Mersey Club’s steamroller, Wembley billiards didn’t even help the townsfolk guilty of a large number of ball-to-foot approaches. Ibrahima Konaté, who was the defending champion for the second year in a row, confirmed he was having a good time by scoring his third goal in just ten days (9th), all from a header from a corner.

Never at the right pace, the mood almost gone, City had to deal with a sun almost at its zenith in their camp in the first half. Undoubtedly blinded by the rays, Zack Steffen saw Sadio Mané appear at the last moment, scoring with ambitious but paying pressure (17′). Teased by the red tide of Wembley after his giant ball, the American goalkeeper played with the handbrake, escorted by a fever shared by his friends in the first act, punished by the double of Mané (45th), scorer with a grandiose volley the departure of one royal movement that the Skyblues coach would not have denied.

Sadio Mané used a mistake by Zack Steffen to score.

Photo credit: Getty Images

15th cup final and dream of a foursome for Liverpool

Sudden awakening after lethargy. Significantly faster when returning from the dressing room, Guardiola’s charges reduced the gap to a school movement that Jack Grealish completed with first intention (47th). Biting down the middle despite a net deficit, dominated by the despotic trio Thiago-Keita-Fabinho, the Skyblues thought they had undone the meeting when Gabriel Jesus came up alone against Alisson. But the Red goalkeeper’s welcome exit could have avoided a stressful end to the game for his partners. And yet, as the Scousers’ good-naturedness in construction broke through the pressing and opposing lines, the Mancunians suddenly raised their tone, minutes before the end of the meeting.

Riyad Mahrez came on for a fine, Riyad Mahrez sneaking close to the goal line to slip the ball under Alisson’s legs, which was eventually shoved into the back net by Bernardo Silva (90’+1′). Despite hot situations to deal with in his area (90th + 2, 90th + 3), Liverpool logically hung up their 15th FA Cup final. The Reds have outclassed the Mancunier, who return empty-handed again, trying to console themselves with the Championship and the Champions League. Two horizons shared by the Mersey club who are still in contention for a historic and unprecedented quadruple victory in England.

Liverpool have qualified for the cup final.

Photo credit: Getty Images

The Emirates FA Cup

Klopp and the obsession with the overloaded calendar


Champions League

Insults, spit and fights: “It’s a hostile environment here”

04/13/2022 at 10:34 p.m

Leave a Comment