Gladbach ultras talk after Derby bankruptcy with Lars Stindl and Co.

After another Derby bankruptcy
Gladbach Ultras chats outside the office with Stindl, Virkus and Co.

After the second derby defeat of the season, Borussia Mönchengladbach is sinking into Bundesliga no-man’s land. In the square between the stadium and the hotel, around 100 Ultras sought to speak with a delegation led by captain Lars Stindl after the 3-1 draw against Cologne.

Scenes like this have not existed in Mönchengladbach for a long time: After the derby lost 3-1 against 1. FC Köln, the third failure in a row against the great rival, around a hundred Ultras piled up on the parking between the stadium and the hotel to talk to the team. Captain Lars Stindl, his deputy Yann Sommer, veterans Tony Jantschke and Patrick Herrmann are out, along with sporting director Roland Virkus, general manager Stephan Schippers, vice-president Rainer Bonhof and longtime assistant coach Frank Geideck . A dozen police officers attended the debate, the emergency services had previously pushed the fans up the stairs leading to the cabin wing to the forecourt.

The confrontation ended at 9:05 p.m. to the applause of the fans, who then left, accompanied by the officers. However, some of them slightly demolished the Cologne team bus, a cavalry squadron had to mount. Then the Borussia delegation came out of the locker room as the press conference with coach Adi Hütter was taking place.

Overall, at 10:30 p.m. there was no major incident, the police were on site with a huge contingent. Helicopters were still hovering over the city late Saturday evening and the blue lights of Borussia Park mingled with the green of the stadium. Buses with Cologne supporters were escorted to Rheydt Central Station, the guests were partying long after the final whistle.

Meanwhile, the Borussia pros left the field to whistles and chants of “We’re fed up”. This also no longer exists on the Bas-Rhin for a long time. In the interview area, Jordan Beyer initially tried to explain why the team escalated the situation after the fatal 4-1 first leg loss, instead of trying to redeem themselves. “It’s just sad and disappointing. What we delivered was not derby-worthy,” said local Borussia player Beyer after his first derby as a professional.

    Accompanied by the police, the group of about 100 people left after the conversation.

Accompanied by the police, the group of about 100 people left after the conversation.
Photo: Rheinische Post

Hütter was the only Gladbach manager besides Wolf Werner to lose his first two derbies in the late 1980s. You have to put up with certain things as a coach – and I can also understand if the fans are there now,” Hütter said when asked about the scenes outside the office. “That’s why there’s only one only excuse from me that we didn’t convey the game well today and that we didn’t do such a good job in an important game for the club and for the fans.”

Ahead of the first derby in Gladbach in front of spectators since August 2017, there were widespread fears that the rivalry between the Rhineland rivals would escalate. But the Borussia Ultras in the northern curve also did not present the flag of their Cologne counterparts of the “Boyz”, who broke up four years ago after the flag was stolen in Sinsheim. There were still major incidents in the stadium.

The main concern was the team on the ground. Cologne took the lead after just five minutes, after 20 minutes it was 2-0 for the guests and after 34 minutes 3-0. At the break, Gladbach had been this far behind in a home derby in the Oberliga West 60 years ago. Back then, it wasn’t an explosive duel like it is today.

Leave a Comment