Huntsville, Ala. (WHNT) – The US Postal Service has launched a new service that pledges to help small businesses get their products to customers faster and at lower cost.
The service is called USPS Connect. It is part of the 10-Year Delivery for America Plan, a draft to improve performance and enhance self-sufficiency service.
The service consists of three branches: national, regional and local. in Alabama, USPS Connect Local It went into effect at 49 post offices across the state.
“It allows the Post Office to become a vital member of the local community once again,” said Arthur Bowens, USPS MPOO.
The way it works is that the business owner registers to participate. Then, for any shipment sent to an address within a participating post office zip code, there are a number of warranties from the USPS.
If work Register at usps.com and create a free business accountthey can access the following:
Guaranteed same-day delivery if a parcel is delivered at the post office between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- Guaranteed next day delivery for all other domestic shipments
- Sunday delivery (at certain locations)
- Free parcel pickup from the storefront
- Special prices based on package sizes
- Shipping supplies included (optional)
- see trace
“It allows for low-cost, same-day and next-day local delivery. It’s affordable for one person,” Bowens said.
Jonathan Fowler is owner and designer Fow Wow Designs, based in Huntsville. The company makes one-of-a-kind clothing, from T-shirts and hats to mugs and stickers.
“We do a lot of unique and exotic local designs for the Huntsville and Alabama area,” Fowler said.
Fow Wow ships everywhere, but 80% of their orders stay in the Huntsville area. They use USPS almost exclusively, so when Fowler learned about this new USPS service, he was thrilled.
“It’s a struggle, being a small business in general but trying to keep our costs down, especially with shipping. You screw up one order, compared to Amazon, they have millions of orders that are circulating. If they screw one up, it’s kind of lost, but one of our orders means,” Fowler said. So much for us.”
To keep customers coming back, being reliable is a must.
“There are a lot of other places people can go, so we want to make sure when we’re shipping something, we’re having minimal or no issues if that’s possible,” Fowler said.
He said that at times during the pandemic, especially during the holidays, he and his family will work at all times to get shipments out on time. Then, with nationwide delivery delayed last year, he said it could affect business, but said he was grateful for an understanding customer base.
“I just want to give a big shout out to the community and everyone who supports our exotic brand.”
Now, he’s optimistic those days are over.
“It all comes down to trying to be reliable,” Fowler said. “to make [deliveries] Easier and take that off our backs, it would really help us.”
In the Tennessee Valley, here are the participating offices:
- Athens Post Office, 1110 W Market St, Athens, AL 35611
- Florence Post Office, 210 N St. Theology, Florence, AL 35630
- Harvest Post Office, 9157 Wall Triana Hwy, Harvest, L35749
- Hysland Post Office, 8401 Whitesburg Dr. SE, Huntsville, AL 35802
- West Post Office, 3605 Governors Dr. SW, Huntsville, AL 35805
- Wynn Drive Post Office, 645 Wynn Dr. NW, Huntsville, AL 35816
- Madison Post Office, 56 Hughes Rd., Madison, 35758
- Owens Cross Roads Post Office, 8396 Highway 431 S, Owens Cross Roads, L35763